Skip to main content

Archie, Vol 1: The New Riverdale by Mark Waid, Fiona Staples, Annie Wu, and Veronica Fish - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Archie and his best friends, Jughead and Betty, are students at Riverdale High when the unthinkable happens. Archie and Betty break up! They've best friends forever and basically a couple since they were five, so this is quite a surprise to everyone. Neither are taking about what happened, but according to the rumors going around the school it's something called the #LipstickIncident. Then, a new girl moves in - she's beautiful, her family is rich, and she's a reality star, but she tends to walk all over people. Her name is Veronica and she has her sights set on Archie.


I'll admit that I haven't read much Archie lately - I like the characters well enough, but the stories just seemed to be more of the same after awhile. You have to admit though, the series certainly has staying power - the characters have been around since 1941. I wanted to try this because I wanted to see how it would be given a contemporary update, and because Fiona Staples is an amazing artist. I actually surprised myself by how much I ended up liking this reimagining. I think my favorite aspect is that the characters have backstories and that they're still just as lovable given a thorough updating. Rather than feeling completely different, they still feel true to the spirit of the characters. As much as I liked getting to know these rebooted characters, I think Jughead is the real standout. I also liked that the deal with his hat is explained (and his nickname, for that matter), especially since Whoopee caps were popular in the '30s. Three artists showcase their work in this volume, and of them I prefer the look of Fiona Staples's designs in the first three issues.

Overall, if you're a fan of these classic characters, do yourself a favor and try this modern update of Riverdale. Even if you aren't as much of a fan, like me, you still may find something to like about Archie, Vol. 1: The New Riverdale.


I read this graphic novel from August 16 - 17, 2016 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I remember when I heard about this I was super excited! I used to read the old copies of the comics that my grandma had when I was little. I loved those and was excited for this reboot... and then, like a dolt, I completely forgot it was happening. LOL now I will definitely be picking it up; I'm glad you liked it!

    Also, have you heard that it's going to be a TV series next year? I'm very curious about the prospect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about the show - I'll definitely be interested in seeing it!

      Delete
  2. Oh eep! That's why the artwork is so familiar! It has a Saga touch to it, because yes to Fiona Staples! I think I still have several of my old Archie comics somewhere (though not 1940s issues, more like digests from the late '90s, lol). This reboot is something I've been looking forward to, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like it - if not just for the Fiona Staples art! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows