Skip to main content

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) y Julie Kagawa - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Actual rating 4.5 stars.

Nothing has been quite right in Meghan Chase's life since her father mysteriously disappeared 10 years ago and she's never quite fit in anywhere. When a stranger starts watching her and her best friend, Robbie, becomes overly protective of her, she can tell that something is about to change. She never would have guessed the truth - that she's a half-faerie and the daughter of Oberon, King of the Seelie Court. That makes her very important and a potential war-time pawn. Now she'll find just how far she'll go to save her kidnapped little brother, and stop a threat that no faerie would dare face.

I've wanted to read this for quite a while now. I'd had it one my shelf for a long time and I finally got around to it I'm actually kind of ashamed that I hadn't gotten around to it sooner because it was a lot of fun.

The world-building is pretty darn fantastic throughout the novel. Kagawa is quite a visual writer so I could fully "see" scenes in my mind's eye. She also is able to bring the concept of the sidhe into the present with the iron fey and I like where she's taking it.

In regards to the cast, Meghan is a good leading lady. Although she has the appearance of a stock YA fantasy heroine, she really comes into her own over the course of the story and she is immensely likable and relatable to top it off. Robbie is a fun character, especially when you find out just who he is, and he has potential and for the most part her vision of the character is successful. Ash, a son of Queen Mab, is an interesting foil to Robbie. With his character, there are quite a few opportunities to see just how inhuman the fey are. If you don't already know, there is some romance in this novel and bit of a love triangle which I'll admit did get old at times. What saved it, for me, was the fact that the romance doesn't consume the story at all.

Overall, I enjoyed The Iron King so much and I'm looking forward to the sequel, The Iron Daughter. If you like Maggie Stiefvater and Holly Black, chances are you'll like Julie Kagawa too.


I read this novel from May 17 - 23, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. Yay I'm so glad you liked it!! I'm in love with this series :D I loved the world-building as well - 'seeing' all the different things that exist in the Nevernever that humans thought up! I hope you like The Iron Daughter!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do to! The Iron King was amazing and the second sounds so promising. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows